Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 15, 2010

"Giving Liberates the Soul of the Giver"

I am so ready to be done with finals right now. My chemistry professor is making us do the chapter reviews for the last 3 chapters we did in class. It is so pointless. Although some of it pertains to what we went over in class, he doesn't really teach from the book and so we end up teaching our selves how to do stuff that he's not going to test on or go over again. I don't think he even checks the answers on most of them.  I think he just looks to see if we have something written down. I hate busy work. My other two finals I had today were not so bad and I passed both with As. Mentally, I'm done now so I just don't feel like doing anything else even though I totally understand it. Blah.

I had a marathon cookie making session yesterday because I wanted to take some to my professors and to my 3 year old's school. Everyone takes it as kissing ass, but I am by no means an ass kisser (I got fired from my last job because I wouldn't kiss ass), I just feel like the people who are in position to provide a service of some sort, whether it be child care or teaching, deserve to feel like the are appreciated and that someone thought enough of what they do to do something nice for them. My microbiology professor told me she had never had anyone do that before. I was appalled. She is one of the most amazing educators I have ever had, and I've had a few, she literally changed my life and I just don't see how no one else that she has ever taught felt the need to let her know that. I think that kind of recognition goes beyond a thank you or anything else you could say or do. I remember when I worked as an assistant branch manager for Chase Bank and I was getting ready to have my youngest son. I had a customer that brought me some outfits for him and 2 other customers who made blankets for him. I felt so good knowing that my customers appreciated me and how I was able to help them so much that they actually did something like that for me. You can never underestimate the impact an act of appreciation may have on someone. I try as much as I possibly can to let people know that they are doing a good job at whatever it is they do. I think that is one of the biggest downfalls of our society right now. Everyone feels like they are owed something and when someone does something for them, even if it is part of their job description, they don't have to be appreciative or thankful. What people overlook is that if they were willing to show their appreciation for the small things people do for them, those people would be more than willing to go above and beyond for them the next time. Another thing people underestimate is how it will make them feel to treat another human being with kindness. Half the reason I am nice to people is because it makes me feel good too and I feel like, if I can make someone smile everyday, I have done something good for the world.

"I have found that among its other benefits, giving liberates the soul of the giver." ~ Maya Angelou

No comments:

Post a Comment