Search This Blog

Monday, February 28, 2011

Orthopaedic Surgeon anyone?

So I got accepted to ASU, but not in the program I had originally wanted. I am OK with it though because it actually makes a little more sense and may make me better prepared for osteopathic school. I will be a Health Sciences major, be pre-med and I hope to get my minor in kinesiology. I am also debating whether I should enter the Honors College. As insignificant as it might sound (not to mention the extra year it will add) the minor in kinesiology is very important to me because I feel it will help me in my overall goal of working with athletes. It will help me become well versed with the movement of the human body so that I can better help the athletes I will work with.  I don't mind the extra year so much because it will allow me to have more time to prepare for the MCAT. I hope to take it no more than 2 times in order to get the score I need to be admitted to the osteopathic program I want. I also have found some more information regarding my eventual specialty and sub specialty as a physician. I think that sports orthopaedic surgery might be it. It sounds so scary because surgical specialties require so much residency and it will probably also require us to move to a different state, or at the very least a different city to complete my residency. It's scary and exciting at the same time. It's scary because I will be in my 40s by the time I am finished with my residency (about 45 to be exact) and we will have to uproot the whole family, BUT I will love what I am doing and my boys will be able to see me complete my dream. Of course I have to make sure that surgery is something that I can do physically and mentally, but the idea of it isn't as scary as I once thought it was.

So I have decided that my little people are absolutely phenomenal. The three year old just isn't liking the whole potty thing. Last week, I was taking his night pull-up off and while I was doing it, he decided to pee all over my hand. I had to take a moment and remind myself that he's only three and take a couple deep breaths before I cleaned him up. It was a difficult moment. Your instinct makes you want to be like "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!!!" but then you have to remember their age and reassess the situation. I told him I wasn't happy with him and then we left for school. When we were almost to his school he told me,"I sorry I peed on your hand Mommy. I not do it again." How can you get mad at that? LOL! Then over the weekend he finally told me why he's so petrified of the potty. He thinks that he's gonna get flushed down the toilet when we flush his pee-pees. He said he thought it would break his head. I wanted to laugh but he was so serious and he would have been so upset. He's the cutest!

My wonderful 6 year old learned a new word, apprehensive. He likes it because he often tells me that stuff makes him nervous and that "his body gets nervous" in certain situations (i.e. having to talk to strangers or going at rides at the fair) so he likes that he has a new word to use other than nervous. I am constantly amazed on how smart he is. I know everyone thinks their child is the brightest, smartest kid, but he really is. LOL! No seriously, he's the youngest 1st grader in his class and he's reading at a 4th grade level and does pretty well in math. I am amazed at the complexity of some of the questions he asks me sometimes. I just think sometimes,"I made that and he's so freakin cool!" I know it sounds crazy, but I still am totally considering having another child. I would only do it if it felt right and we felt like God wanted that in our lives. We shall definitely see.

No comments:

Post a Comment