Search This Blog

Monday, September 3, 2012

I Have Most Definitely Evolved

School has just started and I already feel like I am behind. This semester is definitely going to be a test to how well I am able to schedule my days and motivate myself when I am not physically in class or at school. In a lot of ways I think this will allow me to develop the skills I'm going to need once I do get to medical school. I have to say that I have mastered the ability to study anywhere, under all types of circumstances. Last week my oldest son had to go to the dentist and get some fillings. I took my laptop with me and watched 2 of the video lectures for my physics class, taking notes the whole time. I was able to understand what he was talking about (as much as I can understand physics ;-) and it was in an environment that was not necessarily conducive to learning. I was actually a little proud of myself because I can remember a time when I could not study unless I was under "ideal" conditions. I have evolved.

My class schedule is pretty awesome though. I have a total of 4 classes, organic chemistry (2nd semester), physics (online), nutrition and health communication and nutrition in western civilization. Along with that I am working on my research project that I will receive 2 credits for. I am not taking the lab for my physics class because I decided to take it in the spring, hoping it will help me review when I am studying for the MCAT. The physics class is going to be interesting in and of itself because it is completely online. It is nice that we have video lectures, video homework sessions and test review videos so I can only hope I am able to learn and retain information that way. So far, so good (kinda). Organic chemistry is what it is and it is a beast. My instructor is phenomenal and makes sure he gives us as much support as possible. I will miss not having him after this semester since I will be done with my chemistry classes. My nutrition classes are nice in that I do not have to take tests for those classes, but there are writing intensive which is strong point of mine considering I am formerly an English major. There are aspects of both classes I am really looking forward to and I can definitely say these classes are going to have a level of personal enjoyment for me. I'm pretty excited about them.

I learned this week that I do not necessarily have to work in order to continue to receive assistance, but I do have to send in weekly worksheets that show my class schedule and my study time. Despite not having to, I am considering doing some work-study in the honors office if they can find some tasks for me to complete. The process to have my financial aid amended so that I could receive work-study was much easier than I thought it would be and it just made sense to have it as a backup. Will it add more to my schedule? Yes. Don't I have enough already on my plate? Yes, but my goal is to do it during the time my boys are at school and it would create a small safety net for us financially because we will not have to worry about how we are going to make ends meet once my financial aid runs out. Again, we shall see what He has in store for us. Despite our best laid plans, God's plan will always bring us to where we need to be and many times our plans do not coincide with His plans so we need to be willing to listen to Him and open ourselves to all possibilities. Goal for this week, month, semester: Stay prayerful, stay motivated, stay strong and listen to what He has to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment