Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2012

I Am Working for What My Heart Is Saying

Two weeks until my finals!! Of course I have all three of my finals on the same day with my first one being at 7:30 in the morning. Booooooooo! I am so not a morning person if I'm required to think. Getting up early to run, no problem. Getting up early and having to process information, problem. It's why I stopped taking classes before 9 in the morning. Well, we shall see how it goes. I am ready for this semester to be over. It wasn't horrible but its been a lot of work and I'm ready to spend a whole week watching Grey's Anatomy and finally working out on a regular basis again. I get 3 weeks off before I start my physics class. I'm good with that class though because its all I'm taking. I am taking a class over the second summer session as well (HSC 320: Applications of Medical/Healthcare Ethics) but it is online. I'm not really sure what to expect from that class. That class will take me right to the Fall semester. I think its good though because I know that I would get lazy if I didn't do anything. I am also going to be doing research over the summer that will likely continue until I'm done with my undergrad and I'm REALLY excited about that.

I'm going to be working with an exercise and wellness professor who wants to start a pilot program that targets at risk children who are overweight/obese at a local health clinic and creates a program that allows the children to become more physically active and also teaches children how to be healthier. He would like to incorporate a nutrition education program and I have asked him if I can put that together for him as my contribution as well as my honors thesis project. The hope is that the clinic we will be working with and the City of Phoenix recreation centers develop of relationship, along with ASU, that allows this program to expand and remain in place for an extended amount of time. For my portion of the program I am hoping to incorporate local foods and bring some to the children involved in the program so that they can see some different examples of what is good for their bodies as well as why it is good for them. I am also hoping that I will be able to engage the parents in the program and provide them with some nutrition education as well as resources that will help them use that knowledge. If you can't tell, I'm really excited about this! I am going to be able to really dig into this research for 2 full years and have a contribution that can really change peoples lives. That is the ultimate reward for me, it is why I am going to be a doctor, to make a positive impact on people's lives. I could talk about it all day, but I won't....today.

My new mantra has become: "I am working for what my heart is saying."

No comments:

Post a Comment